> News & events

News & Events

Back to news listing

Posted by: Caroline Hall, on 23/03/2015

Making a Stand against domestic abuse

We want our residents to feel as safe and secure as possible in their home, by tackling an issue that affects millions of people in the United Kingdom.

We have signed up to Make a Stand, which asks housing organisations to pledge to help people who are suffering from domestic abuse.  

Safeguarding is about how adults can get help to stop abuse and neglect from happening.

Abuse and neglect can happen anywhere. Anyone can cause abuse.

There are different TYPES of abuse:

Discriminatory  (because of: age, culture, mental health needs, disability, gender, gender reassignment, pregnancy, marriage or civil partnership, race, sexual orientation or religion or belief).
Modern Slavery
Psychological or Emotional

What you can do:

• In an emergency or if you think a crime has been committed, call 999.

 • Let the person know that help is available.

• Talk to the person to find out what they want to do.

 • If the person is YOU, talk to someone.  Your Scheme Manager will help you. 

Report abuse - you can help bring abuse to an end.

Please see contact details below:

West Sussex

Phone: 01243 642121

Email: socialcare@westsussex.gov.uk

Fill in a safeguarding concern form online at: www.westsussex.gov.uk/reportadultabuse

Typetalk: 018001 01243 642121

East Sussex

Safeguarding Adults Board East Sussex Phone: 0345 60 80 191

Email: HSCC@eastsussex.gov.uk

Typetalk: 18001 0345 60 80 191 Mobile SMS text: 07797 878111

Brighton and Hove

Phone: 01273 295 555

Email: accesspoint@brighton-hove.gov.uk

Fill in a safeguarding concern form online at: brighton-hove.gov.uk/reportadultabuse

Typetalk: 01273 296205

If you report a concern to Adult Social Care they will:

• talk to the person at risk to find out what they want to happen

• support the person to have an advocate (someone to represent them) if they need one

 • respond professionally and sensitively and take your concerns seriously

• talk to the police if a crime may have been committed

• talk to other agencies that need to be involved

• agree the best way of helping, including other types of support If a safeguarding enquiry is the best way to provide help we will:

 • work with the person to help keep them safe

 • make a plan to look into the concerns

• check with the person that what they wanted to happen has happened If the person refuses help, but others may be at risk, we will need to take appropriate action. However, we will always keep them informed about any action

Please also refer to our Domestic Abuse Policy, which you can request from your scheme manager, or find under the ‘Already Living With Us’ area of our website here.

For further advice and support there is also a charity, Action on Elder Abuse, whose work is helping to raise awareness of this issue.

You can contact them on their helpline 080 8808 8141 or find out more on their website here.


Add a comment

Your e-mail address will not be revealed to the public.
HTML is forbidden, but line-breaks will be retained.
This can be a URL of an image or a YouTube, MySpaceTV or a Flickr page (we'll handle the media embedding from there!)
This is to prevent automatic submissions.